A common struggle of entrepreneurship is demotivation. Everybody wants tips and short cuts on how to start and stay motivated as a business owner. Below I have shared some of my most effective habits that have helped me stay sharp and focused as a baby juggling, tight rope walking, solo-preneur, work from home business owner.
There is a caveat though, these tips will not cure you of demotivation! As doctors do with most of our ailments, these tips will only manage the condition.
- Be positive and have faith and belief in your ability to achieve your goals – You’ve probably heard this a million times but it works. Every emotion begins in the mind so control your mind and you’ll have control of your emotions. I know, its not as easy as it sounds!
- Get active and do some exercises, your brain releases a chemical known as endorphins that makes you feel energized and happy.
- Read inspiring and motivating stories about other people just like yourself who have made it in business.
- I know the internet and social media is amazing for remote networking, but if you are the type of person that easily gets demotivated, then you need to keep good old traditional networking going along side all your online endeavors!
- Set yourself goals and break them into daily/weekly or monthly bite sized goals that will have you excited and motivated.
- Watch a comedy, take a break and have a laugh.
- Go outdoors if you’ve been stuck indoors and get a breath of fresh air. There is something about fresh air that clears your head.
- Use positive affirmations to pull yourself our of any rut.
- Develop some powerful daily rituals, meditation, prayer, quiet time, reading some inspiring text everyday.
- Push through the emotions and take action, the physical process of doing something productive will immediately reward you with a feeling of achievement and make you want to do some more of the same.
- Be grateful for what you already have and focus on what is working rather than what isn’t.
- Find something to get excited about in your life and business right now.
- Have a sense of humor, don’t take things too seriously or too personal – this has been the cause of great unhappiness for me in the past.
- Listen to motivational tapes.
- Watch some motivational videos – I have found youtube very useful.
- Create a vision board of your goals.
- Call your nan, mom, siblings or friends – so long as you are not always moaning they will be happy to cheer you up!
- Call your mentor or coach.
- Look for opportunities to meet with like minded business owners.
- Last but not least, don’t indulge in retail therapy! It is not therapy. I periodically lose the battle with retail therapy that is why I know that you will descend into a darker and bigger abyss if you keep believing the lie that acquiring a new object will make you happy. Emotional spending won’t take you far as an entrepreneur.
What are some of your best tips for staying motivated? Please share them below and share this article with your friends if you found it useful. Thank you.
Picture courtesy of Nolydx Designs.